I Forge Iron

New to knife making.

TheGreenMan

And to smithing in general. I have several questions. I have read different postings on the site but can't get the answers. They may be there but i am more of a seeing/doing type than a reading type. I hope that asking some questions specific to me will help me understand what I need to know. I also probably don't have the terminology down. what terminology makes me -----> :confused: :D

I apologize for the long post but found it helpful to write out all of what I had done. Questions are at the bottom.

I could use some help/tips. I tried to make a knife by the stock removal method out of a file. I annealed the file and used an angle grinder and a bastard file to get to the shape I wanted. Finished up with some 120 grit sandpaper. I normalized the piece twice in a small '2 brick' MAPP gas forge. I removed the scale with a bit more 120 grit. I decided to try and to a differential clay temper. I mixed up some Satanite and put it on the piece covering about 1/2-1/3 of the blade about 1/4 inch thick at the thickest, left the spine bare, and gave it a wavy edge. I let the Satanite dry overnight. The next day I put the piece in the forge and heated it until non-magnetic and quenched it in some hot water as I have no oil and I do not know what the apartment 'people' would think when black smoke started rising from my porch. I tempered the knife in the oven at 350 for 40 minutes 2 times, letting it cool to room temp in between. i tested the edge with a file and the file skipped off the edge just fine. I then polished the knife using 320 grit paper, 400 grit paper, 600 grit, and a polishing stone.

OK couple of things:
1: When I removed the clay you can see the edge of where the clay was as a very shallow 'trench' (decarburization?)and there is some very pitting where there was no clay. After tempering I polished/ground them out. What causes this? Is this normal? Is there a way to minimize this that I could do with my little set up?

2: There were also some small circles (not pits so much as actual circles) of decarburization? under where the clay had been. Again what causes this?

3: When I saw the lines I got excited that I would at least have a bit of a temper line. But after polishing the knife to about 600 grit there was no temper line that I could see. I even tried etching and got nothing. I have seen knifes made from files before that had temper lines. Did I do something wrong or did I just end up with the wrong kind of steel?

4: The knife ended up having a crack in the edge from quenching that went through the hard edge to the temper line, so I really didn't mind playing with it a bit. I did the normalization and reapplied the clay to get some practice but this time there was no decarburization? line. What did I do differently? I can't think of anything. (ETA: Ah, I remember I don't think I removed the scale from the normalizing and i didn't add the Satanite on as thickly.)

5. Is there anything I could use to quench that I don't have to worry about catching on fire that would work better than water?

REad the article on heat treat in the blueprints section bp0078 you said the fil skippe off after heat treat on the edge tha is way too hard for a working edge and will fail...once it is clear to you your next attept should e easier. Like said water is not the first choioce. the bp may help with that also

Well it failed due to the water before anything else. So 1: Go to oil no more water, 2: Temper more to get the edge softer, if it is still as hard after an oil quench.

Thanks guys. Your on a roll now don't stop!

I am interested to know about my temper line questions.