I Forge Iron

Gas Forge basics & recommendations?

NewNHSmith

Hi all. I am in the process of building my smithy. I have decided on buying an gas forge instead of a coal forge, due to my neighbors - less smoke/odor.

Does anyone have a recommendation about brands and types of forges? I have NO experience with gas forges. Any and every bit of advice is greatly appreciated!

Also, on another note, is there a practical difference between a cast anvil and a forged anvil? Especially for a beginner?

Thank you all very much. Looking forward to the pointers!

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya.

There are a number and wide variety of very nice gas forges available. It'll help if you have an idea of what you want to do before buying, that way you won't be trying to do things that don't fit or end up heating forge volume you don't need.

There are more than one type of cast anvil available. do not waste money on a chinese cast iron ASO. (Anvil Shaped Object) These are commonly found at Horrible Fright, discount tool outlet stores and such.

Many, almost all new anvils are cast steel and most are high quality and well worth the money.

Then there are the old anvils to be found in barns, garage sales, estate sales on eBay, Craigslist, etc. etc. most of these have seen use and will be in varying stages of condition so some expertise in determining what a particular anvil is worth is necessary.

There are practical instructions and tips on this subject to be found by reading through the "Getting started and Lessons in blacksmithing" sections of this site. More excellent how to info is to be had by reading the "Blue prints" section. Be forewarned though, it's easy to lose yourself and need sustenance before leaving so take a lunch and something to drink.

Finding your local blacksmithing organization and visiting or better still joining will afford you opportunities to try tools, equipment, techniques and best of all make friends with a mentor.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it'll make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. If folk know you're in the area they can invite you to get togethers, meetings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

Thanks Frosty. Updated the profile to reflect I am from New Hampshire.

The gas forge will be used to make everything from S hooks to fireplace tools - items in that size range. I have heard of 2 and 3 burners, various insulating materials, etc. But I know nothing about them outside of that.

I work six days a week, so I really do not have the time to join an organization. My time is extremely limited - another reason to go gas instead of coal... it'll heat up faster. This is why I am asking here about the forge. I have nobody else to ask right now.