I Forge Iron

chain saw blade

JerryCarroll

Howdy Jerry,
I have collected a few chains from a saw shop in the hope of welding them up and making a knife from them.
Would you be so kind as to share how you started the weld process? By that I mean, did you cut the chain apart and place in rows, or did you allow the chain to get "wadded up" as they like to do sometimes and go from there?
Either way it would seem to have a lot of void space, did that create any difficulties?
What about the "bar and chain oil"? Was there enough of it on the chain to create a problem or did you degrease somehow?

Thanks for sharing,
Henry

I made one knife out of chainsaw chain. I cut the chain into pieces about 8 inches long, then sandwiched several of them between a couple pieces of spring steel that I had drawn out to about 1/8 inch thick. I wired the whole mess together, then forged welded it together. The spring steel will help to fill the voids in the chain in the welding process.

Another alternative is to make a small steel box out of bandsaw blades, cut the chainsaw chain into pieces that will fit in the box and then fill the voids with powdered steel like 1084. Weld on a lid and forge weld the whole thing together.

Woody

Here's some of Billy Merritt's billets ready for the fire. He uses a galvanized wire for binding that burns off & isn't included in the billet. I washed mine in a can of kerosine--heated it up to low red--fluxed it heavy with borax & brought it to a weld heat, after the initial light pounding as it was losing the weld heat I quickly wire brushed good and applied more flux and back in the fire. It took 3 heats to get the billet and didn't count how many it took to get it ready to file. I used 6 4" pieces of chain and folded it twice making 24 layers if I'm figuring right.
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34&stc=1&d=1142975816

34.attach