I Forge Iron

Japanese Waterstone Wheels

Well, I can tell you where there are a dozen or so 4' dia ones sitting in a river just below the old anvil manufacturing works in Columbus OH. When they wore down to that small they used to roll them into the river for "fun".

I found them after talking with an oldster who used to work there who told me when they shut the place down there was a line of anvils along the top of the bank. I was checking just in case any of them had dropped into the river. No sign of them and way too much industrial scrap around to be able to use a metal detector; but I did find the old sandstone grinding wheels. I moved 1500 miles before we could figure a way out to recover them.

Over here most of the worn out grindstones from the tool factories were split into thinner sections and sold on to farmers and other individuals to use for sharpening.

Every now and then I come across a 2' stone and try to persuade the owner to part with it, but they always prefer to look at a mouldy slab in a rusty frame than spend the cash I offer :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think you'll find any stones like that over here. The TRUE japanese water stones that I have seen, the rectangular ones that Tom Powers was talking about, are hundreds of dollars each. One of those wheels, if you could get it, would probably be tens of thousands of dollars. The flat ones are quarried out of the mountains in Japan, and graded for size and quality. The ones I've seen are about 2" X 3" X 10" and they start out at about $400 for cheaper stones. I even doubt if you could get one directly from Japan, as the quarries are running out of stone that is good quality. The Japanese are saving the stone for themselves, and that is why you are seeing the synthetic stones showing up. Lew

• 1 month later...