I Forge Iron

Rose making made easy.

I have had good results making roses using 3 or 4 metal discs of 3mm about 60mm diameter. I drilled a 4 mm hole in the middle to enable me to screw the finished pieces together. Each disc is the cut into 5 secments roughly 72 degrees, leaving 5 mm from the base of the slot and the centre hole. I use a piece of wood and marked the points so I just needed to mark out each disc once. I have a metal cutting disc in an old saw bench which makes cutting the slots easy. I rounded an old ball peen hammer head and use it to spead the five segments into petals. I use a small plier to roll the edges and make the outside first, then reduce the next disc by pushing the centre into a small piece of pipe or squeesing them with a large pair of pliers. I used a push rod as the stem after cutting off both ends and tapping a 3/16 inch thread inside one end. I found that you can use a flat screw head and tighten all discs together and then squeeze the centre petals to hide it. I got the idea from a wed site : artistblacksmith.com. and found it very easy to understand. I have made them as small as 50 mm diameter using 12 gauge sheet metal. I sprayed red oxide in the leaves and the girls love them. Good luck with it

After it is all done get a little black felt and some rose oil from a head shop.
Hide the felt in the center of the flower and put in some oil
Then the rose will even smell like a rose