I Forge Iron

Damascus Rings

Since is came to this forum, I have already learnt a lot of things. One things that has really spiked my interest in Damascus. I came across this site.

The Men's Collection of Damascus Stainless Steel Rings by Andrew Nyce Designs

How would one go about this? Casting? How would you also get the gold stripping to fuse to the stainless steel? This whole idea and process fascinates me.

Any input please, its mostly out of curiosity.

Try this site. The Mokume Gane Story

James Binnion is one ot this countries best at Mokume Gane. I think the other guy is calling Mokume Gane Damascus. Nothing too special about his rings though. Not saying they aren't beautiful, just not terribly special.

Jim used to teach and his current partner has several how to books on the subject. He made Deb and my wedding rings.

Frosty

Try this site. The Mokume Gane Story

James Binnion is one ot this countries best at Mokume Gane. I think the other guy is calling Mokume Gane Damascus. Nothing too special about his rings though. Not saying they aren't beautiful, just not terribly special.

Jim used to teach and his current partner has several how to books on the subject. He made Deb and my wedding rings.

Frosty

Hi Frosty,
I make both Damascus stainless steel and Precious metal Mokume Gane wedding and engagement rings and I know the difference between the two as you would have found out by visiting my website at Unique Mokume Gane and Damascus Steel Wedding Bands and Engagement Rings Handcrafted by Andrew Nyce Designs.
I found your offhand comment about me and my work to be rather presumptous given that you apparently didn't take the time to research my site before shooting from the hip.
You may want to consider correcting the record.

Sincerely,

Andrew Nyce PhD

After reading what little you have written on your site about your SS "damascus" process using powdered metals, it's apparent you are using a sintering process and neither Mokume Gane nor Damascus.

I do know the modern pattern welding process bears very little resemblance to the process producing damascus patterns. True Wootz derived Damascus steels were not folded and welded or the various %s of C would've become homogenized and no patterns would result. At least that's the most recent consensus as I've heard it.

I must admit I'm a bit mystified at how you can claim to subject sintered "hot isostatically pressed together" billets to the same techniques used by the early metalsmiths to produce Stainless steel damascus.

I'm not even sure where to begin with this claim. What part of sintering SS is even remotely similar to the process of making Damascus steel? Heck, sintering bears a lot more similarity to Mokume Gane, it might even be semantic quibbling to call them different other than aesthetically.

Let's see, sintering is Diffussion welding of dissimilar powdered metals under heat and pressure.

Mokume Gane is diffussion welding of dissimilar metals under heat and pressure.

I said I thought you were calling Mokume Gane Damascus for marketing purposes and now that I've read what little info you've put on your site and given it a little thought I see no reason to change my basic opinion. I will correct my term to Sintered for sake of accuracy though.

Perhaps if you were less fluid in your definitions I wouldn't have shot from the hip. Did I miss though? I'll be happy to post a correction or corrections if you'll be so good as to point out those things needing correction. Even after reading everything I could find about your process on your site and looking for a resemblance to real Damascus I have no choice but to stand by my opinion that you are simply using the term for marketing. Just calling it damascus in no way makes it damascus or I'd be 6'2" thin, good looking and rich.

Frankly I have no problem with your marketing and I love your rings. They're very beautiful but not so unique as they would've been even 10 years ago.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty