I Forge Iron

Any advice....

i'm also very new to smithing having been at it for a little over a year. like artfist said ... I've found the best way to learn is by making the tools you'll need to make other things... tongs, punches, drifts, hardies like cut offs and bottom swages, chisels  (he mentioned hammers but i'm in the midst of forging my first 3.5lb rounding hammer and it's a pretty big undertaking esp  w/o a power hammer) ... aside from getting a good foundation in the basics you'll end up with a set of tools that would have cost a small fortune to buy. 

Going through the ABANA controlled hand forging series has also been useful https://www.abana.org/resources/chf.shtml  the link is text lessons but there's plenty of videos on youtube. 

have fun

• 2 weeks later...

I've had success going to a metal recycler and asking to look around.  They were a little surprised at first, but let me walk the yard.  Got a couple axles w/coil springs for about $30.  Bet they got a laugh off of me loading it up into the trunk of my Cavalier.

2 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

I've had success going to a metal recycler and asking to look around.  They were a little surprised at first, but let me walk the yard.  Got a couple axles w/coil springs for about $30.  Bet they got a laugh off of me loading it up into the trunk of my Cavalier.

hey, I'm in college station, if you ever over here, give me a shout, there's a perty good scrap yard here, and can maybe spare you some of my scrap, and if nothing else, we can just hang out, and beat on some hot metal!

Littleblacksmith

4 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

No problem.  I honestly don't head that way much, but most likely will be in a few months for the Balcones/HABA combo demo that usually happens in February in Bryan.

I'm gonna be there too at the steep hallow forge event! always enjoy it!

Littleblacksmith

Ya know what this years theme for the forging contest is? may have to email them, I talked to the Jeff Lee a while back, and he mentioned that there website isn't up to date, and to just call or email them with any questions.

Littleblacksmith