I Forge Iron

Zink spraying in the south west

I have a big commission for a sculpture and wanted to find out how much Zink spraying would cost. I also understand from reading others comments that the guy operating the equipment can have a big effect on the work as well. Can anyone recommend a company in the south west that does good work?

thanks

K Blasting at Galmpton http://www.kblasting.co.uk/ for details, but be advised that the works location is not at the address or postcode registered on Yellow pages, but in the old quarry off Kiln Road, it is on the same site as Marina Developments, whose address is  Dartside Quay, Galmpton Creek, Brixham TQ5 0EH, If you google their details and go to the aerial picture, you can see the K Blast buildings as you enter the Quarry.

This company sandblasted and hot zinc sprayed the panels that were made at the 2014 International Blacksmiths Festival that are now installed for all to see at Westpoint

On 24/04/2016 at 2:12 PM, blackleafforge said:

I also understand from reading others comments that the guy operating the equipment can have a big effect on the work as well.

I'm only highlighting this because your phrasing made it sounded like you were working on the assumption that galvanizing was a sure fire hit regardless of the company/person used, whereas the sucess of zinc spraying was more dependent on the operator...

My opinion is that it's more nuanced than that because whilst the coverage and attention to detail with zinc flame spraying, (particuarly the small crevices, e.g above and below a collar that grips together two scrolls which butt together) is dependent on the operator, on the other hand, galvanizing firms are notorious for being heavy handed due to heavy duty structural steelwork being their bread and butter, and globular "snots" and evil sharp spikes are also common. Those need attention before top coats. Galv can also chip/flake off.

I appreciate that you probably didn't mean that, but I'm just making the point for the sake of the newbie that stumbles across this post when Googleing the pros and cons of spraying VS dipping.