I Forge Iron

forge

smithatheart

I have been making a forge and I have been thinking my plan was to be a flat bottom and the air comes from the bottom without a fire box but I don't know if I need a fire pot but just have a flat bottom and the width on the inside be 8 inches wide with fire bricks on the side and just stack the coal higher but I think it will work but my biggest comcern is can I work 1.5 inch rounds with it

A hole in the ground will work as a forge if you set it up right.  You haven't provided enough info to give a whole lot of feedback.

From what I can tell, you want to bottom blast through a flat plate and use a rim of bricks to act as walls to form a sort of fire box/coal containment.  That boxed area would be roughly 8" x 8" and standard bricks would make it about 2-1/2" deep.   Am I reading you right?

If so, it could work with good airflow as a general forge.  Many people use simple builds like that.  As to properly heating 1-1/2" round bar in a reasonable time to a proper heat, meh..hard to say.  Probably with tweaking you could make it happen but there are a LOT of things that might need those tweaks:  Airflow, depth, coal banking, etc.  Fire management is an art of it's own.  There are some youtube videos on fire management which might help you.  Look at TechnicusJoe's video on fire management for a good one.