I Forge Iron

The guys on this site are good!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Max,

I live in Central Alaska.  I have a few local friends and one or two of them are world class knife makers.  A few times I've been able to go down to Frosties and hang out for a weekend and learn.  I even made it to one class the Alaska Artists Blacksmiths Association had on tong making.  For the rest, I use this site.  The people here are the best.  If I have an issue or need guidance with a project, I ask and they give.  Heck even every once in a while one of them will call up and say howdy and chat on the phone.  I have been given so much by the membership of this site.  Including knowledge.  I'm no great smith.  I'm a weekend hobby guy.  But, people have been begging me for tripods, cowboy cooksets, folding leg campfire grills.  All because I made one tripod for a friend.  It pays for fuel and for materials.  Materials that I plan on turning into axes.  Why?  Because I have a thing for making axes.  I've really put in a lot of time studying how they are made, why they are made the way they are and a lot of other things.  Now its time to make some.  But, everything I've learned about it is here.  I guess what I'm trying to convey to you is this.  Hang out.  Spend time listening and reading.  You'll get there.  Your not alone.  There are many many people in the exact same boat your in.  Hang tough.  After all your a blacksmith too. 

Blacksmith.jpg