I Forge Iron

Blacksmith coal in Michigan

So I am in Michigan for the week right outside of Flint and we are running low on coal at home.  I found a supplier in Flint called Streat Fuel and Storage Company that sells "Blacksmithing Coal" for $25 a bag.  I was wonder if anyone has gotten coal from them before and if it is worth the money.  How big are the bags and is it a good quality?

I believe most places that sell bagged blacksmith coal are selling 50 lb bags of bituminous. I see from Streats website that their blacksmith coal is twice as expensive as their house coal so that sounds about right. When you say you're almost out at home, we're not sure if "home" is in Michigan where you are for a week, or back in SE PA where you'll be going. If it's back in PA, I think you should be able to find something a whole lot closer to home rather than transporting 50 lb bags 15+/- hours through three states, but hey, whatever works for you.

Peoples Coal up in Stroudsburg Pa has decent blacksmithing coal. They are a hike, but if you go to the October meeting that's usually up at Andrew's shop, they are right down the street from him. There's also a place in Lancaster I'd have to hunt to dig up whom as I can't remember them off the top of my head.

The PABA newsletter lists 3 other coal suppliers at the top of the suppliers list at the bottom of the Dec 2014 newsletter.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/634c729a023790c99ce2764e5b7a4cdb?AccessKeyId=365E7683EA96E88F0E78&disposition=0&alloworigin=1