I Forge Iron

Video: forging a steak flipper

Everything Mac

Greetings Andy,

I'm with Cross Pien,   NEVER NEVER LEAVE THE CUT OFF IN THE HARDIE HOLE WHEN FORGING... IT HURTS.....    I suggest you fasten your anvil down better . You are trying to hit a moving target...   I got quite a kick out of you ... I never seen a smith hold the stock with tongs and move the vise...  You are doing just fine and will make progress very rapidly.   Next time try to form the eye and wrap around on the anvil .. Its easer and good practice...

You should be proud and keep a nockin

Jim

fix your anvil and vice down, turn your anvil around, so you can get closer without nadding yourself on the side horn. the horn doesnt "have" to be on the left, especially if it gets in the way of using the anvil correctly. when you get close to a fine point on the taper, work close to the edge, so you dont hit the anvil.

(opinion) you dont have to "sound"

other than that, good work, keep it up

Hi guys, cheers for the comments.

The anvil is actually fixed really firmly, I was shocked to see how much it moves in the video. I'm limited by my work area, it's all sat inside a small shed and the base of the anvil must be slightly uneven, the soft floor doesn't help. I'll sort it out.

As for the vise it has to be moveable because I simply don't have the space for it to be fixed anywhere. Though I think I'm going to get some heavy box section to weld up a better stand for it.

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

Andy

one thing I will note is that you should not be moving the hammer when drawing out. You should mark an X on your anvil with some soapstone and then hammer there, moving the stock around it. Look at someone using a powerhammer and apply the technique to hand hammering. Other than that, you seem to be doing a good job. Like the others said, clinching the tools down will help immensely in power return. You have good talent, and although I couldn't tell for sure it looked like you were drawing out square to octogon to round to square, which makes everything go faster.

Good on ya, looks good and keep improvng!

~Ridgeway Forge

Cheers guys, really appreciate the feedback. Baring the odd session with a local smith, I'm mostly self taught so its good to hear good points and bad points.

Just so y'all know, I'm actually thinking of getting rid of that anvil. It was a bargain purchase recently but I've clearly gotten very used to my small anvil as this one just feels wrong. Though I have a big PW sat back at the folks place doing nothing too, so that might get brought up to the new house.

I digress.

I'm back offshore for the next couple of weeks, I'll be sure to take the hot cut out of the hardie hole when I get back. I made another pin for the anvil after reading your comments but it still wobbles about which suggests the base is uneven as well as the soft floorboards of the shed. I'm actually considering a metal stand which might be more stable? I wish the floor was concrete but it isn't so I must make do.

I'm also going to try to stop putting my thumb on the shaft of the hammer. It's not something I really noticed I was doing quite so much until I saw the footage.

Iron woody: the sounding is a habit I picked up a few years back and I've not been able to kick it. It's not something I was taught either oddly enough.

This is the finished flipper:
image.jpg

I was forging round to square to get the point, then the square to octagon then round.

Cheers guys much appreciated.

Andy

Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it greatly. I suppose most of the big things have already been mentioned. When tapering, try to pay attention to the height of your left hand, and you'll avoid a lot of the annoying bends and save time and heat.

Good point. I'd never even thought of that. Much appreciated. :)