I Forge Iron

I hate Paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over the yearsI have finished all of my work either with paint[black] or linseed oil. I have just gotten into the art side and am unhappy with 'paint'. My garden art is painted with bright colors which I don't mind but cannot decied on a satisfactory finish for art work and sculpture. I want to show that the work is metal but needs some type of shading for high lites. Any ideas would be apprecited.

I've had good results with Sculpt Nouveau products. You can apply the colors as thick or thin as you like, then cover with clear Permalac, good stuff....

1. Metal Coatings - Finishes - Sculpt Nouveau

www.sculptnouveau.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=42 - Cached Metal Coatings for metal finishing, sculpture maintenance, and surface ... Sculpt Nouveau 2011; Phone: 1-800-728-5787; Hours: 8am-5pm PST, Mon-Fri ...

I have just tried Guilders paste on some chilie peppers. After cleaning with a rotery scotch brite in the drill press and washing with mineral spirits, I let them soak in the sun until the ms evaporated. Using just a dap of a coral red and a few drops of mineral spirts to thin, I applied it to the metal. It spreads evenly and quickly. A little goes a long way. It does not seem to like smooth metal. I did not pickle, but should have to rough up the surface. I did go back and apply a second coat, which did "stick" better to the slick steel. It left a very light red translucent finish after polishing with a clean cotten cloth by hand. It has a hard finish that does not rub off and stays in the low areas with good high lites. I then did the stems with a green copper. The stems had been wire brushed and had a rough finish. The thined paste "stuck" better on the rough finish.
Tomorrow I will finish some lilies that I acid cleaned. After washing in clear water I left them in the sun to dry. They will rust slightly over night. I will see if the pickle finsh will take the color better. Pictures tomorrow