I Forge Iron

Mounting Mirrors and Glass Table Tops

I am a new blacksmith and want to make some mirrors and tables.
before i begin i would like some advise on how the mirror is mounted into the forge worked frame, so i can work that into the design if need be.

also i want to make glass top tables. I have some reinforced glass but dont know how i attach it to the table base?

I would prefer not to put a frame around glass and have table base under the glass.

Are there any blacksmiths that can offer advice and techniques?

Thanks

I am a new blacksmith and want to make some mirrors and tables.
before i begin i would like some advise on how the mirror is mounted into the forge worked frame, so i can work that into the design if need be.

also i want to make glass top tables. I have some reinforced glass but dont know how i attach it to the table base?

I would prefer not to put a frame around glass and have table base under the glass.

Are there any blacksmiths that can offer advice and techniques?

Thanks

If the glass table top is nice and heavy with dressed edges,then I just cut out little rubber plugs and insert them into drilled holes with the plugs standing proud and sit the glass on top,leave a bit of a safety margin round the edge.
To cut out the plugs just get a piece of small bore tube or pipe and chamfer the edges sharp, bang it on a piece of rubber sheet and there are your plugs.

There are many ways to attach mirrors or glass to ironwork, it is always advisable to cushion the joint to allow a small amount of movement and eliminate impact jarring which could cause problems. This could be felt, rubber, or mastic/adhesive.

If you don't have to have the glass/mirror removable, then you can use a clear or coloured adhesive such as they use on aquariums.

If you are making tables then ideally you dont want the glass top to be easily slid off so some sort of restrainer should be used and incorporated into the design. The top should also be supported on shock absorbant pads, felt or rubber

If you are not making a frame to hold the glass table top in position you will need the edges of the glass to be suitably finished to prevent damage to people and pets, it can also reduce the chance of chipping the edges of the glass.

Mirrors can be held inplace with clips made from copper or whatever you choose, these clips can be mounted with screws to enable them to be removed, if you solder copper tabs on these can be bent into place to secure the mirror insert.

If the mirror is to be wall mounted, you can form a pocket across the rear for the mirror to slip into.

You can also make a recessed back to hold the mirror in place. Secured as you wish, hinge and pin, screws, swivel latches etc

Glass/mirrors will also slide into channels and be retained by them

I am sure others will come up with more ideas, Good luck with your project.

Wherabouts are you located? There may be someone nearby who can help you.

This is a table I made and have used for 2 years. I used some clear rubber pads ~1/2" diameter. The steel was clear coated (let dry) and the pads I removed the self stick adhesive with denatured alcohol and then applied 2 part epoxy to attach. Leave a day to dry with the table top on for weight. This holds up fine but I had another table loose a couple of pads from not removing the adhesive before applying the epoxy. The better would be to "flat bottom" recess nest the pad "down in" just a bit.
Four legged tables may need to compensate for a high corner in this case do three legs permanently and do the last one later in case of the "high corner" condition. Clear or black rubber pads for different uses can be bought anywhere but do not trust the adhesive "peel off" and stick down to be permanent. Good luck. Spears.

post-9545-068653500 1281551303_thumb.jpg