I Forge Iron

Blacksmiths needed

I'm agreeing with Boggs and Sells. The world is full of this union or not union rhetoric, but I think many people have a misguided view of the role of unions. There was a time when unions may have abused their power, but that was self corrected. In the construction unions most of the workers have a very high regard for their contractors who pay good wages and no contractor has to put up with a non-productive worker. The last few decades was probably the best time ever to be a union tradesman. The mid-70s to early 80s was a time of realizing how good we had it, nearly all became highly productive. Also there has been a continuing drive to educate and obtain higher skills through that time period. Todays trades are very well trained. Yes non union workers may also have the skills needed. There is virtually NO non producers in the work force today. I know nothing about the village in question here but there is good chance there is no budget to pay union wages, or maybe no wages. I demonstrate at a county fair and a log cabin village for no pay, but only a few days a year. I am able to do that because I retired early and do it for fun, but it is still hard work and I would not do it every day like that . I always felt that I was well paid and actually loved going to work and making a good livable wage. No way do I look down on non union or lower paid workers I just wish every worker could have it as good as I did. Anvillain

Interesting discussion and I think that the perception on both sides is correct: Unions are necessary and can be a positive force for both the labor and the company as a whole. Unions can also be obstructionist and misguided, even corrupt. There are cases for both statements. Unions can protect workers in the case of unethical management but the unions themselves need to be ethical. Unions should be about setting, applying and maintaining fair standards for safety, pay, time worked, etc. Sometimes these elements get lost in rhetoric. Bad workers get protected sometimes, even though that's not in anyone's interests. Also, since the union's job is to look after the good of the workers they often fail to see how they affect the health of the company they work. These are complicated issues and can't be decided based on one incident. Union's might not be as necessary as they were, but they are still quite important. There are still plenty of people waiting to take advantage of workers who have no recourse.

Let me tell youa story about unions.
I work in an oil refinery that is owned by a Large oil company. I am non union. I am just about the only non union employee in this facility.
Erlier this year the union went on strike because it wanted more money for less work.( if I quit coming to work and demanded more money I wouldnt have a job) Well during the ensuing strike I was not alowed to go to work because management would not let my cross the picket line. So I lost five days pay because someone wanted more money for less work.

As stated earlier,there is a new thread in the business side of blacksmithing about unions, some good stuff. I think we hijacked this one, and it was more about blacksmiths.

That's exactly what this post is about,GETTING BLACKSMITHS back into Greenfield Village to demonstrate our craft. I only mentioned the union because they had their hands in it some wheres. I know when I go to a place like Greenfield Village I want to see someone in these places that I can talk to and ask questions to. It cost a chunk of change to go to these type of places and I would like to feel I got my money's worth.

Bad creek, i didn't mean to sound rude. Just wanted to get the thread back to the beginning since some of us started posting solely about unions. I understand your point. Its a shame when this wonderful craft is terminated anywhere. You would think it would be understood by ford that blacksmiths and auto unions are not very related.

ironstein, I didn't think your comment was rude. I was getting sick of hearing about the union when that wasn't my intention. Its no different with other post when someone gets off track and starts blabbing about some thing different. Its maddening at times especially if your a new smith and your not getting the questioned answered. Paul

Some thing else I found out. You can call 313-982-6090 and tell them how you feel about not having a blacksmith there. They do have one blacksmith but he doesn't demonstrate.

if the blokes there were happy working for what ever, what agreement was made when they started workin there? why did the union have a say?

is everyone else in the museum a union member? why were they singled out? self inflicted?

why did the museum let them go? as in forced by the union or pressure? or a money thing? if the union owns the site then i suppose thats it then.

if the workers/volunteers brought the union idea in to increase their wages, then it didnt work.

im happy to write a letter, if it wasnt self inflicted backire..