I Forge Iron

spring return for hydraulic press

Fe-Wood

I was talking to a guy today about building my press (finally going to do it :D) and he asked why not use a spring return on a single acting ram? Got me thinking... always scary... So, I'm figuring the main reason for a double acting ram is the stopping in the up position, just above the work. This reduces cycle times. Any other reasons?

Thanks!!

Ah yes! excellent point! I will be using it for drifting for sure!

Another design consideration I'm wondering about-

I'm thinking about using 2 rams (60 tons) with a bar between them and 1 collar in the center to push from. Anyone made something like that?

I would at some point like to use this press for making hammer heads and hardware.

Somewhere in past posts there`s pics and a link to at least one video of an electric over hydraulic press that`s done with 2 cylinders.Well worth the search,I unfortunately didn`t bookmark it but if you find it and post a link here I will this time. :rolleyes:

Found it!Randy McDaniels on You-Tube.DRGNFLY4G,Hydraulic press parts 1+2.
If I was smarter I`d post a link but I have no clue how.

The only thing with using two cylinders is that you need to use a splitter valve so that both cylinders get the same amount of fluid, or you can end up with racking. John Larson has done some experimenting with using two cylinders and there is a guy in Wisconsin area who's name escapes me right now who was making and selling presses with two cylinders. That splitter valve is not cheap.

Yeah Jeff Reinhart had some experience with that and posted his expertise in response to John Larsons' questions on forgemagic or farwest clone. That was more than a year ago. What I brought from the discussion was if the rams are close and heavily linked there won't be much problem. The further apart and lighter and sloppier the guides the more difficulties to be had. I am toying with this idea myself. It'll be another month or two before I'll be able to pursue it tho.

Hmmm Splitter valve. I was wondering about pressure equalization. My current design has a 24" wide opening. The rams would be side by side. Without having specs, I'm thinking they will be at least 12" outside to outside width and maybe a bit more. I thinking Delrin or phenolic lined rub guides fort he platen will help a bit and also making all the hoses from the valve to the rams the same length... kinda like tuned exhaust.

I have a "splitter" that is not really a splitter valve.... I is basically a metered gear pump that is hydraulically driven... so it has one line in and two lines out and because the sides of the pump are linked it forces the cylinders to be equal even if the load is not... Its made by Parker and came on a two cylinder press... Is that what you guys are referring to or just a manifold that splits the flow?

Splitter valves are one way, probably better to handle it mechanically. The cylinder with the least resistance will want to travel ahead. Keep the cylinders close together and the ram guides narrow and tall.

Exactly what I was figuring! Thanks for confirming that Grant!

Hay Monster-
Do you have a model number? I'd like to see what one looks like and the specs for it.

As far as splitting goes- I'm most likely going to use a "T" type of affair. The supply would come in the bottom of the "T" so the outflow would be resistance balanced anyway.

Exactly what I was figuring! Thanks for confirming that Grant!

Hay Monster-
Do you have a model number? I'd like to see what one looks like and the specs for it.

As far as splitting goes- I'm most likely going to use a "T" type of affair. The supply would come in the bottom of the "T" so the outflow would be resistance balanced anyway.

I'll get one... I could even take a picture when I get to the shop

I just read Randy's comments on the utube link and I see he did not use a Splitter Valve. I know the guy in Wisconsin (Chuck??) felt it was necessary, his press was wider I am sure that does make a difference.

Chuck Schaeffer..he built the two presses I have..I sold the first one he built for me and will soon be working with him on a fourth.
Chuck Schaeffer cgschaef(at)chorus(dot)net

The two cylinder I have is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FypNcOI96Tg
I'll be selling it as soon as the new press proves itself.

It has a flow divider (had one from Prince which went bad after four years, but installed a new one last year with little issue). Two five inch diam cylinders with tie rods holding it together and acting as guides. It runs at 2800PSI with a 22gpm haldex two stage pump off a 5hp 1800RPM motor (so its moving half the rated flow). Moves about 0.6 inches per second at high flow.

Ric