I Forge Iron

Roofing Done

We finished the roof last week and here are some pictures.

In this one, you can see my brother (who is the brains behind the shop) and the crimping tongs beside him at the peak.

ShopRoofDave_01.jpg
Here you can see the crimping tools in use. Sorry they aren't very clear pictures but we're not doing this again any time soon to get better ones!

ShopRoofDave_crimp.jpg

Here is the shop so far. Now comes the electrical, chimney, hammer foundation, etc., etc. I'll do the windows and doors when I get tired of all the wind and cold weather next year. I'm tired already. :D
ShopRoofDone.jpg

Ed; there have been several business's and a couple of the schools that they put a sloping standing seam roof on their flat roofs after years of leaking and fixing, I had to do some welding on one of the stacks at the middle school and those people have electric powered tools to do that job. I was pressed for time and did not get to see them work but they don't take very long to do a double crimp on the seams.

irn

primtechsmith: Thanks. It has a long way to go, but at least I'm more weather-resistant now.

irn: Yes, I knew of those tools even before we started. Only an idiot would do it the way we did it. Okay... TWO idiots. We just HAD to do it with our very own tools... just because. :lol:

Although it didn't really make sense on this roof since it is brand new and very even, the old method we used is still preferable for replacing old roofs. From what I've been told, the electric seamers don't like the irregular, uneven seams that occur on old sagging, rough lath roofs. That was the case on my Mom's roof, where brother Dave learned the fundamentals last year.