I Forge Iron

Buckworth Anvils

I don't know that particular brand however any anvil that is generally sold at discount tool stores are not very good. Frequently made in China from cast iron they are not the best for general blacksmithing. If you want a good anvil for blacksmithing you have a few choices. You can go to a horseshoeing supply store and see what they have. Sometimes they can have fairly decent anvils at good prices. Not great anvils for general blacksmithing but serviceable. The next choice is to buy new blacksmithing anvils and these are expensive. Then you look for used old anvils. Not cheap either but you stand a better chance of a "deal" because folk don't know what they are selling or want to pass it on to someone who will use it. The last choice is a large chunk of steel which is always better then an anvil shaped object (ASO) made of cast iron. Beware of ASO's as they are a waste of hard earned money and generally worthless.

I already have a Peter Wright, a Trenton and a Hay Budden so it is not a first anvil for me. Just an potential addition to a collection.

The reason why I ask is there is one coming up for auction in a couple of months. It is an older anvil (I think it predates the Chinese ASO's, but it might be an older U.S. or English Cast iron. Or, it could be a high quality wrought or steel anvil). I was wondering if anyone has any experience that would save me the 2 hour drive to the auction.

My Google search turned up nothing as well.

I have heard of 1 other Buckworth that went up for auction last fall about 5 hours away from me. I don't know who bought it, or what it sold for. The owner was an accomplished blacksmith that taught many others. He had some high quality equipment for sale at the auction.

I might just have to make the drive to the auction with a ball bearing to give it a test.

Jeremy, funnily enough, a Google search of Buckworth turned up many references to that exact joke.