I Forge Iron

first knife?

grimme

hi. Ian gave me some 1% carbon blanks, 1.5" long by3/4" to make a swedish work knife, Ive not caught him since but this is what (i think) he said, put 1 piece of mild on each side for the blade( and i suppose a bit of mild in the middle of the handle to keep it sq.) and then weld it??? Do I assume correct that to forge the blank you get a good hot fire then turn the air down so its not so savage as to burn the outside before the centre's hot, and the fire's deep to have a big neutral spot?? just give me the first three ( cos i got a short attension span) steps in knifing please.

CArbon sttel like you have is not sheap if you buy it new...Maybe you could savve it and practice on some layers of mild steel for a bit until you get good at forge welding,,,then all willl become so easy and you can do a blade with the good stuff,,,when you can weld mild to mild you can make any nimber of ornamentl things with it. If yo have a problem with the carbon welding it will surely be scrap,,,Use boraz laundry soap and give some mild a try,,,good luck