I Forge Iron

Is this a good torch?

Don A

Would this rig make for a decent torch? (cutting, welding, brazing):

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID=1011&sonID=598&page=4&productID=1377

I think they are running around $189 new.

Victor Cut-Weld Outfit Includes Oxygen Regulator, Acetylene Regulator, Welding Torch Handle, Welding Nozzle #0, Cutting Tip #0, 3/16 In. x 20 Ft. Dualine Hose, 2 In. x 4 In. Cover-All Goggles, Striker And Instruction Booklet

BTW, I've never owned a torch before. Any additional advice is appreciated.

Don: That is not a bad torch. It is somewhat lightweight, and you will have to buy bigger tips after awhile.

The welding tip is really small for most blacksmith work (spot heating rivets and so on) and the cutting tip is really pushing it to cut 3/8". Depending on your tank size, you'll probably want a rosebud tip after awhile, which is good for local heating and bending. All these can be bought later, but the total can cost more than if you get them in the original set.

Here is a link for Victor:

http://www.thermadyne.com/victor/

Here is an example of the tip sizes needed for cutting:

http://www.fitchindustrial.com/cutting_tipchart.htm

I strongly urge you to go to a welding store and talk to them. You will need to see what they carry to supplement your new kit even if you don't buy one from them. So you might as well get comfortable with them before you buy yours to make sure your torch future is an easy one.

If you aren't familiar with using a torch, ask them to show you how to use it and operate it safely. That information alone is worth any difference in price and will put you in good graces with the welding store. They always like it when you admit your limitations so they know how to help you.

There is an Airgas (bought BOC Gases, I guess) about 40 miles from me and they have always been good to me.

Are you considering buying your tanks from Tractor Supply? I saw that you can get the larger tanks there now. That has always been a source of frustration to me; that you can only buy small tanks and lease the larger ones.

Thanks Ed. I'm in no hurry, so I'll heed your advice and do a little more fact-finding in the local welding supply shops.

Last time I was at Tractor Supply they gave me a brochure on their gas and oxygen tanks. It offered a full range of sizes, and I do believe you could buy them outright. The guy in line in front of me was writing a big check for some big tanks.

I'll see if I can remember where I put the brochure and let you know what it says.