I Forge Iron

Little Giant 50#

Does anyone know when the Mayer Bros started putting all the lettering on the flywheel of their hammers? Every one I've seen has all this lettering, some nicely cleaned up and painted, but mine doesn't have a marking anywhere on the flywheel or clutch. It has the serial number 148 on the front side of the frame and the Mayer Bros logo on each rear side. Mayhaps mine has been replaced?

Richard, If thats the hammer the was on ebay awhile back that I think you ended up with, I was curious about that flywheel as well. I noticed the flywheel didn't have any lettering on it and wondered if it was even cast or is it a solid steel replacement? Does it have a counter balance on the back as the original would have been cast in one piece. I did look in the Power hammer book by Richard Kern and It lists that serial# is being made in 1900 #s ran from 108 to 191 that year. I am sure the people that own the Little Giant hammer business now could tell you about the flywheel.