I Forge Iron

Aluminum Casting Questions

I have a repeat customer who gives me a lot of work (he is a general contractor who does restorations of big, old expensive houses) and he regularly comes up with ancient pieces of hardware that were probably last made in the 1930's. Most of the time, I can machine suitable replacements as they are all brass or aluminum. Almost none of these parts are forged iron as that architectural period was marked by a lot of Art Nouveau and the bulk of it is non-ferrous and cast.

Right before the Christmas break, he gave me three pieces of hardware that are best suited to casting and I believe aluminum will work just fine. I also think I would prefer to work with aluminum rather than brass due to the melt temps. Although I have cast a lot of lead bullets and did a little silver work with lost wax about 35 years ago, my overall casting experience is limited. My question is whether there are any decent guides to moldmaking and aluminum casting around that I could educate myself with - or does anyone have experience with AL casting who would be willing to post some pointers? Thanks in advance, Hollis

My question is whether there are any decent guides to moldmaking and aluminum casting around that I could educate myself with - or does anyone have experience with AL casting who would be willing to post some pointers? Thanks in advance, Hollis

For a good guide check out this: BackyardMetalcasting

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.