I Forge Iron

Babco 160 vice repairs

I have a babco 160 vice that needs repair. If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction that would be helpful. I have looked on-line for a replacement nut, but haven't had any luck finding one. It looks to be casted. I don't want to replace the vise, I really like it.
This is the first time I have posted pics, so hopfully it will go well.
The pics are a little blurry, but you can tell that the nut was striped out.
You can really see it on the screw.
ps. there was a number on the nut BJ408150
Thanks.

and yes I still haven't figured out how to change the date on the stupied camrea.

9997.attach

9998.attach

9999.attach

10000.attach

10001.attach

10002.attach

Hi lonestar,

Try here for a replacement nut. McMaster-Carr (usual disclaimers) Try searching under "acme threaded nut" **for some reason if you just search "acme nut" it only brings up the precision threaded ones ???** You'll need to know size and threads per inch. It looks like the stripped out nut is cast iron, so someone else will have to offer advice on how best to join a new steel nut to the cast iron support. Oh, and next time don't let the gorilla tighten up the work in the vise for you. :D

-Aaron @ the SCF

** photographic tip: if you want to take a close-up picture of something, take one giant step back and then use the zoom function (if so equipped) to get a closer shot. Many low end digital cameras aren't very good at focusing at distances closer than maybe 2 feet (my kodak, for example, isn't any good till you get to 3 feet or so). There's a term for this, "Macro" maybe, I can't remember for sure. :) **

Edited by the_sandy_creek_forge
EDIT: I figured I mite as whale at least make an attempt at descent grammer...

Thanks for the info, I was hopeing to find a replacement part and buy it, and work on the striped out nut later..(have two just in case I mess things up. after all i have already stripped this one out!)I use this vise for work on my truck. It has done everything I wanted it to and more. I have been without it for a couple of days now and it shows, I work on drilling rigs mostly, so getting the job done quickly is what its all about. So for now I guess I'll go and get a new vise, and work on this babco when I get home. hotels frown on working in the parking lots!:D
but then again, I may like the new one better!