I Forge Iron

Newbie starting out

ericspaw

I'm glad to have found this forum. When I get a week of free time, I'll try to go over most of the messages as I feel there is a wealth of information here.

I am going to try to make a few carving/bench knives for my woodworking hobby. I think I can do the sharpening and shaping, but am not sure about the tempering and hardening. I'm more concerned that this appears to an outdoor activity more than an indoor thing and we are enjoying an early winter here in Chicago. Is there any place that is friendly to the small scale knife makers that I would be able to send away for hardening and tempering at a reasonable cost?

Thanking all in advance
Eric

PS I tried to do a site search, but I am not sure how to phrase the question.

Hey dude, what kind of steel is it? Still dont know? Well where did it come from? An old file? Leaf spring? Knowing that, you can easily determine how to heat treat(thats the key phrase). Now dont be scared the the term HEAT TREAT!! Its really not that hard. You dont have to send it anywhere either, you can do it at home very cheaply, providing you know what kind of steel it is. Give us a buzz!