I Forge Iron

forged presents for mom

well its that time of year again and i figure that i should forge my mom some stuff...

She recently got a house so i was thinking of flower holders and somthing to do with a heart...has anyone got any ideas? Any pictures?

Nothing that uses stock that is hard to find, i have lots of rebar, i was looking at daves gallery (fieryfurnaceforge) and he has a cool candelholder that i may try.........

k well i forged my first one..... dident turn out as well as i hoped, i made an old washer straight for the steel so that may have been the prob.. i will get some 1/8" by 1/2" flat bar soon to make some more, get better at em!!, ill post a pic as soon as i get a pic of it

I been smithing for three years (hobby) and I still find I usually have to make one extra of whatever it is i'm making, and that's the first one! I call this the "test piece" and it's mostly a failure, but it shows me what i should have done in the first place to make it properly. If I don't do things this way, and try to save the "test piece", it's usually not as good as what i'd like it to be when finished.

100_1309.JPG

I make my heart hooks from 3/4" wide X 1/8" flat stock.Split about three inches down to make the heart. Forge the bottom section to about 1/4" square, flatten tip back out to about 1/4" wide x 1/8" thick again and curl slightly. Overall length of steel is about 6 1/2 " to start.