I Forge Iron

RFI hydraulic ram steel

I have seen a few RFI (request for information) posts about different types of "gleaned" steel, does anybody know what the ram on hydraulic cylinders is made of? I have a bunch of them, all sizes, and the way that stuff takes a polish, I think it must be prety hard, and the stresses they go through, they must be prety tough too. I am going to need to make set tools, and hardie tools, so would this do?
Paul.
It's not over...Untill we Win!!!
I also have a bunch (like 7000#) of tool shanks for asphalt grinders made by Kenametal, and lots of drops/disks from makeing screens, for the same equipment, these are AR Q90, about 2 1/2" around what could I make out of these?

Most cylinders, both hydraulic and pnuematic, at least on the decent ones are IHCP. This is Induction Hardened Chrome plated. I believe the steel is medium carbon, modified for induction case and core heat treat. To use one would need to remove the hard chrome and then go to town. I would quench in oil, temper to straw as these fast hardening steels for induction will crack very easily in water. Also I would avoid holding above the critical temp, as grain growth may be an issue.

Again for what it is worth I had a client who made shafts for cyclinders and I think he said the bulk of the ones his company did were 1045 or stainless...

I think the grinder tool shanks are more promising... As I have on fine third hand knowledge;-) the teeth are tungsten, and the shank is S7 is what I have heard (for what that is worth;-) But a freind of mine made a really nice punch out of one so it might be S7 and excellent for hot work tools;-) I think you could spare a few pounds to try... and have a really nice gift for your freinds, or a good source of trade items;-)

• 2 weeks later...