I Forge Iron

Fulton anvil - general info

Hello.....
I have a chance to purchase a Fulton anvil, appx 130-150 pounds. It looks to be in excellent shape. Before I buy it, I was trying to do a little research on it but found mostly no information. I do not have Mr. Postman's book...probably should get one though. Can anyone share their thoughts on these anvils. I have a strong facination with anvils......like most of us, huh?
Thanks in advance

My first real anvil was a Fulton. It was about 120 lb. and in very good shape. It was a cast iron anvil with a very hard high carbon steel plate for the face. The edges had a few small chips, and the face was slightly depressed into the cast iron in the middle. Neither of those was a problem. I was pleased with it until I decided I needed a heavier anvil. The anvil has a small spot in Mr. Postman's book, but I don't think there is anything significant about it. If the size is right for you, if it is is good shape, and the price is reasonable, go for it. They are good anvils. The one I had had a very hard face and I liked that.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Just wanted to put out there that I found an old reprint of a 1923 Sears, Roebuck Catalogue (ISBN# 0-910676-02-X). First, the blacksmith supplies are amazing. I would love to buy an entire shop at those prices. Anyhow, what it says about their Fulton anvils (on page 875) is:

Molded in one piece of fine alloy steel; the face cannot loosen or come off.

One piece construction insures anvil against breaking at the waist.

Correct Design

Horn is long, well shaped and round its entire length, permitting the forging and welding of rings at any point. Tail is long and formed so as to permit the bending of small V shapes. Base has a wide spread, insuring stability and prevents tipping when doing heavy work near ends of anvil.

It should be noted that it is listed next to a different brand of steel-faced cast (nameless) anvil. The Fulton displayed has the very distinctive logo. Mine must have been the 120 lb. model before the heel broke off. The price in 1923 was $20, but it was not mailable.

Resurrecting old threads is fun.