I Forge Iron

I want your thoughts (I think)

promotive

I have a 2 burner gasser forge. It was made by a guy here in NC. It has a large front and rear opening and the side swings up to open the forge into a C shape for large items. I have found that my work tends to red oxide when it is cooling. I thought that the forge may be lean so I made the interior smaller with fire brick. That helped with the oxidation, I can only get metal high orange running at 10 psi. This was also the case before adding the extra brick. Do I need more pressure or a forge built with a better design? The burners point straight down at the floor in the center of the roof. I know you want to see pics but I don't have any right now. Give me your thoughts and ideas. Thanks!

I would be the guy in NC...;)
PM me your address or call the shop at 7049487676 and I will send you some ceramic board that you can cut to make end panels for that Metal Artist Forge. I will also send you a set of choke plates for the burners. The Metal Artist is handy, but because of it's wide open design, it loses heat quickly. That's the trade off for the kind of access the forge allows. With good insulating end panels, you should see a nice increase in efficiency, and you can remove them when you need more access to the heating chamber. I have seen the red oxide before, but in my case it was from taking a low heat on HR mild steel for bending, it was the mill scale on the material that turned red in my case.

• 2 weeks later...