I Forge Iron

how do you charcoal?

I make charcoal in a retort, which is basically a 15-17 gallon drum inside a 55-gallon drum. I cut draft air openings at the bottom of the drum for air flow and to help in getting the fire started. I drilled 3/8 inch holes around the base of the smaller barrel to allow gases and volatiles to escape (also providing more heat as it burns). I used a piece of round plate metal for a lid. It bolts on. The plate has metal loops welded to the top so I can suspend it within the drum. I tried using two pieces of heavy rod to support the smaller barrel at the bottom, but they got too hot and bent into a nice arc. I also place metal pieces over the top to help keep the heat in, while allowing smoke to exit. I used what I had on hand. (I make frequent trips to the salvage yard, so I had plenty on hand.)
For the charcoal and fuel for the fire, I use oak pallet material which I collect from a local company. The pallets are usually made of 3x3 inch runners approximately 11 feet in length with 1x 6 inch boards as cross pieces. I use a tool I made to disassemble the pallets, remove the nails, then I use a miter saw to cut the wood into chunks. With the 3x3 runners, I use a hatchet to split the chunks into smaller pieces. Some of the cross pieces are sawn into longer lengths (12-18 inches generally) to be used as the heat source.
I put the soon-to-be-charcoal chunks in the 15-gallon barrel, bolt the lid to the top and suspend it in the 55-gallon drum. I pile wood under the small barrel and along the sides (inside the 55-gallon drum) and start a fire. It takes about an hour or more for a complete burn. I add additional fuel as needed to keep it going. There will be lots of smoke, at least initially, and it will make a roaring sound. I usually do it in the evening and let it cool overnight. When I