I Forge Iron

General Observation

HWooldridge

This is in reference to the recent posts which have caused hackles to rise here and there - it is not directly related to blacksmithing but may apply once in a while...

Humans first developed speech to effectively communicate and even though it is still often misunderstood, it's usually better than the written word because the speaker and audience can note inflections and make adjustments accordingly if they detect confusion or that the message has gone off-track. Writing then developed as a way to carry information over the course of generations, which is why civilization began making so much progress - later generations did not have to "re-invent the wheel". Writers were usually well-educated and trained in the written word so they had some idea of usage and meaning to convey whatever message they were after. They might work and worry over a passage for days - just to make sure it was interpreted the way they wanted.

I have been surfing the 'Net and reading, posting, etc., ever since it became common to do so. It is a new medium, quite unlike anything we have had before. It allows a user to access the world and find just about anything or anyone - and to do it almost anonymously. This has resulted in written "conversations" all over the place on an infinite variety of subjects - something we called boards, forums or now blogs.

An interesting addition to the mix is that most of the users are not trained writers. They may have hated English in school and figured that composition and essays were not something they'd need later in life. There are many people who are quite successful and accomplished in conversation who cannot recognize subject or predicate and don't care about the use of a comma. This doesn't imply ignorance - just an overall tendency to be more focused on other skill sets. Another facet of this issue are the international users who are not posting in their native language. It would be utterly pointless for me to surf a Chinese blog, but many people access forums written in English and do a great job of communicating their thoughts.

Hopefully, I have communicated effectively in the few sentences written above, an accurate description concerning a few salient points about the Internet. If I have been successful, the following may have some value to the reader:

A regular poster recently asked an innocent question, followed by equally innocent responses. The moderator has a certain criteria for this forum, which is his choice and responsibility. His interpretation of the thread was to monitor and finally lock it when his personal comfort level was exceeded. This would not have been an issue in a verbal conversation held among the members but certain conclusions were drawn based on the posts. Whether accurate or not in the intent, interpretations were still made.

Hollis' guidelines to using the Internet: Stop and think about what either you or the other person is trying to communicate, then respond with as much care and clarity as you can muster. We all participate on certain forums or boards because we feel comfortable with the other members or the subject matter. Viewer ages can range from those people who are barely old enough to read to seasoned veterans - youth and fresh vigor on one end with great wisdom and experience on the other. This audience requires each poster to tailor a written question or response as though you were standing in front of a great crowd with a microphone - it is not an anonymous act without consequences.

I hope no one is insulted or antagonized by this post as none was intended.

" This audience requires each poster to tailor a written question or response as though you were standing in front of a great crowd with a microphone - it is not an anonymous act without consequences. "

Hats off to the man from San Antone....

Hollis, your command of the English language is very good and you will possibly see some glitches in my compostion. :? Keeping a civil tongue is an all day job for me some days. Folowing is NOT a snipe at anyone posting here, but a very general statement:

When it comes down to it, some folks never got out ov Junior High School. Now, this said it's pretty simple. I'm here on the net, in another mans domain ( which he allows me to visit freely, no charge). If you've ever been to my shop or talked to me on the phone, you then know that I may slip a few "cultured" words in from time to time. This is a bad habit but it's my problem. I'm speaking about times when I am in the company of ( or conversing with )adults. When I post here or anywhere else, I use this judgement: Would I say this in front of my Wife ? Kids ? Grandkids? There are 3 different graduations of severity here. I post stuff here that I would say in front of my grandkids ( this covers all sins for me). Have you seen a post of mine that is questionable in this regard ? Possibly. I'm a human but I really try to be good. There is a line and it is in concrete. If I go to a place with expectations of seeing kids, I behave accordingly. If others don't behave well around kids while I'm there, I act accordingly to convey the message to the offenders. I'm neither a prude nor a power grabber. This is Glenns site and he has the RIGHT to have rules. Some people must SEE the rules WRITTEN someplace in order to act accordingly. I already know where the boundries are and most others do as well. Folks, it ain't tough to get along. Most of this stuff I'm talkin about was taught to you in Kindergarten. My own kids think I'm too serious. I guess it's the only way I can keep myself in check. Thanks for readin this diatribe and if you are offended, I really hate that but life ain't fair. Somebody's got to act like they got some sense ( and Glenn is doing that). I stand by him. If a group of inner city kids or 4H kids from out here in the stumps where I live wish to visit this place, I feel comfortable knowing that it is a safe place for them. They will get educated in offensive language pretty quickly watching TV or reading "Heather has 2 Mommies" in public school somewheres....nice to have a safe place to have fun for all. END

The nice thing about this forum's format is that those who choose to ignore the topic and move onto smithing, can easily do that. Those who like the off-topic discussion can do that, too. Plenty of stuff on this forum to keep everyone busy. And of you don't like it, you can always run away and take your posts with you. :wink:

Marc: That is an excellent observation. When Glenn started this forum, I realized it was a much better layout than any others. Now I can skim past the posts that might get me worked up, and just read the healthy stuff.

Hollis: As usual, you have good things to say. I'm enjoying seeing you over on the Practical Machinist as well.

Very well said, Hollis. Some additional points to remember: We have made comments to the effect that we have an obligation to shield younger readers from the poor examples that we older folks set by using vulgar or profane language in public. We should also remember that there are many adults who are offended by such language. Part of being a "sure enough grown up person" is to take other people's feelings into consideration before we speak. It's just good manners.

Remember the quote from George Washington..."Profanity is the result of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly." (or words to that effect).