I Forge Iron

How many fuels do you use?

How many forge fuels do you use?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. How many forge fuels do you use?

• 10(really?)

Question: How many fuels do you use?
Just one Defination of "Fuel": Something consumed to produce energy, especially: A material such as wood, coal, gas, or oil burned to produce heat or power.
Fuel is just a form of potential energy waiting to do something.
Please forgive my opinion about my view of what fuels I use.
I am not a traditional period Blacksmith, although I have been blacksmithing for over 50 years professionally and for fun. I have, and will use every fuel to accomplish what ever I need to get a job done. This is my view only!

1. Coke - - - - - - (to Forge)
2. Coal - - - - - (to Forge)
3. Propane - - - - -(to Forge)
4. Natural Gas - - (to heat treat)
5. Charcoal - - - - (to heat treat)
6. Acetylene - - - (to forge and heat treat)
7. Electricity - - - -(to be able to see with, to power up the forge blower and other tools shuch as the drill press and Plasma cutter etc.)
8. Oil and Water - -(different types) -for heat treating and color texturing. Note: it burns or evaporates while exchanging energy.
9. Food for my-self; (Calories) fuel for me to have the energy be able to use #1. thru #8.
Ted Throckmorton

Edited by Ted T

I voted for three, because on a regular basis I use propane, coal, and coke. I have used Natural Gas, and charcoal, but don't use them often anymore. So I didn't think it appropriate or completely honest to vote five with the way the question was phrased. I have two NG forges which aren't hooked up, two propane forges which I use regularly, a working coal forge and enough stuff to build three or four more... Unless I need something specific that is easier in a coal forge I use the propane forges in the shop almost exclusively, but like others I tend to use the coal forge for demo's.

Nate, would you elaborate on how you implement waste oil in your forging?

Very simple actually, I have a 8'' pipe that is the forge / fire container and a 2'' pipe running in to it from the bottom side, it is coming in at an angle so it will create a vortex when under pressure. in this pipe I have a smaller 1'' thick walled pipe, 1'' OD x 1/2'' ID that extends just inside the burner. The 2'' pipe takes the air from a blower ( use electric not hand cranked! ) and the 1'' takes a stream of liquid fuel. The stream of fuel must be more like a steady drip and you need to really preheat the firepot / burner to get oil going good. If you have the fuel / air mixture correct and the pot burning hot enough it will cease to smoke (as bad) and will create some serous fire and heat. Motor oil seems to burn even hotter than diesel but don't try gasoline unless you have a death wish or want a fire extending about 15'-20' out of the top of your forge. Also your forge needs to be pointer with the burner up or you will have SEROUS dragon breath! This type of setup is meant to be used only in a rural area and out of doors or the police / fire departments will be involved ;)

Do a Google search for WMO furnaces for more info and perhaps take the time to build in some castable refractory / etc. ;) I use this forge to melt stuff like lawn mower motors into usable ingots of aluminum.

9527.attach

Edited by NateDJ