I Forge Iron

Meat cleaver ideas?

Ecart

Hello everyone.
A guy at work asked me today if I could make him a meat cleaver out of some saw blade steel that I have. I said I'd give it a shot. Keep in mind that I have never finished a blade before. But here's what I will probably do: I plan to cut out the basic shape from a piece of 3/16" thick circular saw blade- it's the cleanest that I have as far as rust damage. I will most likely grind in edge bevels but I have considered forging them in to some degree. One of the main problems that I may have is heat-treat. If it will fit in my small toaster oven, how long should I leave it in there and at what temperature?
Any other suggestions would be great as this is the first one for me.

Not knowing the chemical makeup of the sawblade, start at 400 and watch the oxide colors. I'd take it to a vermillion color for a cleaver , mebbe a little past.
You could also try a n edge quench, getting the entire cleaver up to temp., then let the heat of the blade bleed into the edge , tempering it. It's a bit tricky but works on hawks.

I would love to tell you the steel is L6, but I don't know. Thanks for the suggestions. Tomorrow I actually have to go out and get the steel out of the pile. I know exactly where it is; I saw it a couple of days ago. That's why it came to mind.