I Forge Iron

First try at a knife

48willys

Well, I know this may not be the way to start at this, being that I'v never made a good weld before.But I thought I would try it and I was happy with what I got.:cool:
It's made from a motorcycle chain.The problem is I got a cold shut at the tang on both sides when I was drawing it out. I didn't finish it because I think it would brake off if used.Also there are a few surface cold shuts.
So what do you all think I did wrong? <a href=DSC01804.JPG'>
I'll try to post some better pictures when I make them smaller,this one took 17 min to load because it was so big.

Looks to me like you need to concentrate on welding up a good, solid billet first... say 1/4" x 1.5"... something like that.

Make it as long as possible; at least as long as you need. Clean up the ends and edges so that you are starting with a piece of dimensional blade stock with no inherent problems; cold-shuts, inclusions, etc.
If you're having trouble making a clean billet, you need to practice welding until you can pull it off.

Then forge a blade the way you would if you were using "bought steel". Trying to go straight from chain to blade is going to be a problem... at least for me. I'm a rank amateur at the pattern welded stuff, but this makes sense to me.

Don

Edited by Don A

Chain is interesting but overrated in my opinion. It is much easier to stack up some different types of steel to make pattern welded goodies. I mostly use 1 1/4" X 1/8" 1095, 1 1/4" saw blades and 1 1/4" banding. I cut all material 2 1/2" inches in length. Welds quick and easy.

Save the chain for later is my suggestion.

Steve

Chain is the hardest of the pattern welded billets to do. All the voids are cold shuts and inclusions waiting to happen. I agree with Steve it is overrated. If you do it in a box with powder it comes out fantastic. Very interesting patterns. But for a beginner chain or cable should be done later. Practice your welding and do a simple flat damascus first to build your confidence.

I have some roller chain from the mill where I work. I've tried welding some of it up but it would always fall apart on me. I mentioned this to a very experienced smith. His suggestion was to anneal the chain first. I haven't been able to try it yet to see if it helps. But I also would rather save the chain until I get more confidence in my welding abilities. Personally, when I get the forge set up again, I'll start off with mild steel again and work my way into more complicated things. Yes I have welded in the past, but it has been a while since I had any forge time and I am just a beginner after all. Just my ramblings, but maybe you can glean something from it that will help.