I Forge Iron

New regulator 0-20psi fine?

Campbell Iron

Hi, I'm new here, but not to forging. 

I need to acquire a new hi pressure LP regulator for my gas forge because the old one developed a leak after a propane distributor overfilled my tank. 

I notice that everyone suggests a 0-30psi or 0-60psi regulator but the ones of those that I have purchased always leak and It appears to be difficult to find a regulator locally. I found a Tractor Supply in the vicinity that has a 0-20psi one... will that work sufficiently? 

If not, can someone supply me with a link to a listing for a higher quality regulator and/or hose than you may find on Amazon. 

If Amazon is the best option, please say so. 

The welding gas shop had no idea what I was looking for... and the local propane distributor only sells low pressure regulators. 

Thanks,

Sean. 

Welcome from the Ozark mountains.

I would say not knowing where in the world you are located, Amazon would be the best option. We are not allowed to post live links to commercial sites.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

4 hours ago, Campbell Iron said:

I found a Tractor Supply in the vicinity that has a 0-20psi one... will that work sufficiently? 

The short answer is yes. Amazon.com is a large marketplace. If you are able  to tell good from bad products in that market, it is a useful choice; otherwise NOT!!!

As to why we suggest 0-30 regulators over 0-20 models; it is just a matter of "just in case." I mess around with low volume higher pressure burners, and never need more than 20 PSI. In fact, most people spend most of their time at 12 to 15 PSI, even when welding in their forges.

As to 0-60 regulators; the only time I ever use one is when I am testing a new burner design; and that is only to determine  its safety limits.