I Forge Iron

Just wanted to say hello

Jason L

I'm new to the world of blacksmithing but I have made a few knives (stock removal only) so metal is not entirely foreign to me. I have built a homemade forge from a brake rotor and a pipe stand from an old diner table with a hand pump that works but it is brutal.

I've read a little here and there and been fascinated with the level of craftsmanship I see here and on other forums. I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to produce items as superb as the ones I've seen so far.

I know that my setup is not ideal, probably even for a beginner and I'd like to work on something better, but right now I'm learning and I just want to take my time and figure out the process before I upgrade to actual equipment designed for the purpose.

I have many questions that I am scouring forms to answer and so far, most of my questions have been answered many times. I would like to know if there is a reference to the various types of steel available (as in, what do the identifying numbers mean?) and if there are any tips or advice that I could gather from those far more experienced than me.

Right now, money is tight, so my entire setup was free and so is all he practice metal. Mostly RR spikes till I get a feel for it. I'd like to know what I'm doing before I mess up good metal.

I'm also very curious about gas forges, though at the moment I don't have the means to acquire one. I'd like to set one up in the future. For now, coal dug from my backyard will have to suffice.

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips, and I love the work I've seen so far. Really beautiful. You folks are truly artists of the highest calibre.

but right now I'm learning and I just want to take my time and figure out the process before I upgrade to actual equipment designed for the purpose.

The best advice I could give you, you already have! Except that the designed for the purpose = what ever purpose you designed it for regardless of how ''Brutal'' it may or may not be.

Welcome to IFI You can learn anything you want to about this addiction here. :D

Thank you. I'm hoping to learn a lot more before I actually start working with decent steel or upgrading my equipment. I would like to know that I can make something useable and attractive before I go throwing money at something. Of course, it would probably be easier with the right equipment, but if I can do it with what I have then I can do it with anything.

Hello Jason and welcome to the site, You'll probably want to make you some tongs and tools to forge with, You can find all kinds of good idea's in the Blueprint section. I also have a drum forge, and it works pretty darn good. I have a squirrel cage " Heater Motor" outta a 64 chevy truck, and it supplys the air..

I'd love to make some tongs but I'm not really confident with my skills just yet so I'm just beating spikes into submission. I've been using coal that I dig out of my yard but that supply is dwindling and more is hard to find. I might have to switch to charcoal. Like I said, I don't know much yet but I'm slowly trying to get the feel for it

You will have a "learning pile" as long as you are blacksmithing. Not every project works even for experienced smiths. The trick is to learn from each mistake and do better on teh next try. Post questions to the forum. Pop into chat , don't be at all afraid of asking questions of the members here. This is about the most friendly site I have even been a part of.
Finnr

I understand the 'learning pile', in fact, that's the first thing I'm building lol. I think I can put that together fairly easily. right now, I'm trying to figure out what to try first. Tongs and other tools would be great, but for now I think I'll just learn how to work the steel. Maybe draw out some bars, reshape some oddball stuff, that sort of thing. I don't want to get ahead of myself at the moment. steel isn't easy to come by around here. It's about an hour drive to the nearest friendly scrapyard. Right now I'm just banging on stuff I've found in my yard and RR spikes.