I Forge Iron

Ten Hammers

Ten Hammers

Hidey Hey. I'm Steve ( Ten Hammers ) O'Grady. Bloomfield, Iowa. United States of America. Entertainment capitol of Davis county. 50 something ( I think 52) years old and for now fulltime smith. I do a lot of production work for some folks that have a mail order business. I also build stuff for folks around here. Bought the first forge 21 years ago this year. My smithing itch started as a very young man going to the Blacksmith Shop in Ellston, Iowa. Forrest Robinson was the smith. Also went to Gilmour Barbour's shop a few miles further off. I have Gilmour's Kerrihard Hammer and have looked many years for Forrest's anvil ( to no avail ). Dad farmed and I grew up and went to school with Forrest's grandsons. Navy Vet ( aircraft hydraulics ). Roughly 20 years experience in sales ( grocery and retail bicycle ). Bicycle mechanic years ago. EMT locally for about 8 1/2 years (now inactive). Married 30 years and 3 kids. 5 grandkids. THANK YOU VETERANS ( active and past ) for my and my familys freedom. I have met a few from the net and am glad to have met the old guy from Nebraska ( Junior Strasil ) and have been to his shop a few times. Also met Dodge ( Scott Scheer ) when I was there. These guys make my welding look pretty bad. :) Junior's shop is a walk into history and I feel a drawing back to my youth when I visit him. I also have met and am friends with Oakwood Forge ( Jens Butler ) who lives a few miles east of me. I am very glad to say that the future of smithing is alive and well in his hands. I strive to do better daily. I'm still the old guy with the pliers.

• 1 year later...

Thanks Steve for sharing your past and present with us. I saw some pictures of you and Jens on the gallery. Picked up a few idea's for my own setup. I am new to blacksmithing, from July last year, and have set up the basics in my backyard now. Finally my forging sessions become a bit more productive, now that I have the basic tooling made.
It's amazing how each of us has a story of how we started with blacksmithing.
Have a good one!