I Forge Iron

Electric Motor Wiring

markh

Does anyone have advice on where to an instruction book or online tutorial for wiring electric motors? I have a 5 hp 3450 motor from Tractor Supply and need a parts list for the starter as well as a little how-to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Markh, i'vebeen an electrician for 30 years untin i had to leave the trade due to a car accident in 1990. It's quite simple. You should have 3 wires on your motor. white-black and green. The white is neutral, the black is common which is the hot side and the green is the ground. All you do is connect the white wire of your motor to the white wire of your power supply, connect the black wire to the black wire of your power supply and last the green wire of the motor goes to the bare wire of your power supply because that is your ground. BE SURE TO PUT WIRE NUTS ON ALL OF THE CONNECTIONS. Good luck. Keep your iron hot and your hammer high. Robert