I Forge Iron

Jewelry / Jewellery ?

Hi Folks

I am a mature student finishing my degree in Applied Arts (metal/ceramics/glass/jewellery) in Devon, UK. I am trying to learn and combine blacksmithing and jewellery at the same time with mixed success!

I am writing a dissertation on blacksmith made iron and steel jewellery. Anyone out there doing any and willing to talk to me?

cheers
TRhys

I made a few pieces of steel in the 70's and 80's mostly for the bikers. Just didn't sell that well to most folk. Gold and silver seems to be the main metals for most folk. Damascus steel has made a small dent in some circles of wear but not as much as mokume-gane. After seeing the work of Jaclyn Davidson I'm ready to start again. She uses gold in her steel jewelry plus colored stone.

What o you know? Life's a trip, and this forum is one too. Post a notice from Devon UK and ask if anyone does such and such. And, a fella from around the corner answers you back saying, Yessir, what street do you live on?

You fellas better keep us posted on your collaboration!

Oh ya, I did a lot of mild steel chainlink jewelry, as well as in sterling.

Hi Folks

Thanks for your posts.

I am in Plymouth at PCAD. At the moment I just want to know who is out there and what they are doing. I am still working on which direction to take the dissertation!

Wow, I see what you mean about Jaclyn Davidson, I will have to get in touch with her - Thanks Bentiron for the link

Thanks again and if you know of anyone else making jewellery please post

TRhys

Hello matey

I'm just in the process of looking into that course myself at PCAD are you doing the full time course or the part time one? I wouldn't mind having a chat with you about the course and collage one day if you have the time I'll PM you my number if that's OK.

Steve.

Thanks guys

John - I will email you - I will also be on the knife making weekend in November .

Steve - I am on the full-time version and would be very happy to tell you about it.

Philip - wow the world gets smaller every day! What is blacksmithing like in China?

Thanks again again
Rhys