I Forge Iron

Hello All, a few questions...

DC712001

Hello. My name is Derek and I live in Southern California, USA. I am considering getting into Blacksmithing.

My current hobbies are Flying (I'm a pilot) gardening, computers, automotive (classic-cars, Jeep,) old-engines (I have a 1924 Fairbanks-Morse stationary flywheel engine,) etc.

I live on an acre of land, have a small garage-shop with tools, two-stage air-compressor, MIG and gas welding equipment, a small 6" x 18" lathe, 20-ton arbor press, abrasive-blast equipment, etc.

I can weld and use machine-tools, but not at a professional level of skill or expertise.

For 10-years, I worked at an Aerospace Forge Shop that manufactured seamless rolled rings, up to 15-ft in diameter, from Titanium, aircraft-aluminum, nickel, cobalt, chromium, stainless, niobium, tool-steel. We had several large hydraulic presses, the largest being a 4,000-ton unit and several steam/pneumatic hammers, the largest being a 1917, 10,000 Lb Chambersburg Hammer out of a Pensylvania Rail Yard.

I observed, but didn't work at actual forging. Instead, I served in support roles such as plant-maintenance, saw-department, inspection/QC and finally, Heat-Treating, as a supervisor.

Bachelors degree business administration, then worked 4-years in commercial-sales for a west-coast steel-mill that hot-rolled steel-slabs (rolling-mill) into 22-ton coils of Hot-Rolled, Cold-Rolled and coated (hot-dip galvanized) sheet and plate steel.

Earned my pilots certificate several years ago and a couple of aviation-related college degrees (Commercial Flight and Aviation Science) and working toward an aviation career.

Questions: I'm looking for an affordable anvil and toward building a foundry-furnace and forge. I have some fire-brick and Kaowool left over from my heat-treat days, and my welding/fabrication skills, so that should help a bit.

Would be nice to find a local blacksmithing group. I know I've seen a group in Vista, California, but that's a bit of a hike for me. Then again, who knows?

Also looking for blacksmith tools and supplies.

Oh well...

G'day Derek,

Looks like you are on the slippery downhill slope, but take heart, its fun. A couple of answers, the anvil can be anything heavy with a relatively flat top eg. a bit of railroad track or scrap iron. The tools to start with a basic hammer from the hardware, a pair of large pliers for tongs and a basic forge with a hairdryer. With that little lot you can make your tools and get lots of practice on the way. Read the Getting Started/Lessons in Metalworking articles then the Blueprints and practice, practice, practice.

Remember to enjoy it though :)

Edited by rmcpb