I Forge Iron

Please recommend a decent OA welding goggle

I am still working on my OA welding and becoming increasing dissatisfied with the goggles I have. I have tried various makes of the standard box shape with flip up lens. They all fit poorly, the lenses rattle around and the headstrap is worthless. I need something to go over prescriptions glasses ( I dont think cup goggles will work for me) and also to accommodate a cheater lens. I am willing to spend the money for something decent. The ones I am using are a real distraction. I would sure appreciate any tips.

Thank you

I usually wear dark safety glasses with I cut and O/A weld. Since you wear prescription glasses the best way to go is cutting goggles. In my oppinion they are all uncomfurtable. If you do a lot of welding I would suggest a atuo darkening lens that you can adjust the the lense darkness. I hope this helps a little.

• 2 weeks later...
I am still working on my OA welding and becoming increasing dissatisfied with the goggles I have. I have tried various makes of the standard box shape with flip up lens. They all fit poorly, the lenses rattle around and the headstrap is worthless. I need something to go over prescriptions glasses ( I dont think cup goggles will work for me) and also to accommodate a cheater lens. I am willing to spend the money for something decent. The ones I am using are a real distraction. I would sure appreciate any tips.

Thank you

HI maddog; GOOD HANDLE By The Way !! OK; I'VE Been Welding for FOUR DECADES, & AT 58 YRS. OF AGE my eyes are not the best anymore, so what I've been using the lasy 15 yrs. are BI-FOCUL DARK SAFTEY GLASSES, THEY ARE LIGHT WEIGHT. And they stay in Place when I'm using my Torch. Good Luck in Your Future Welding Endevours!... Norm : P.S. ASK for them at your local Saftey Supply Store. Goog Luck !... Norm :

I would recommend instead of goggles, getting a shade #5 face shield. This will give you better visibility since you're not limited to a small window. Fibre-metal makes good shields and head gear at reasonable prices. You can find fibre-metal products online, or your Local welding shop can probably order it for you.

Be careful, there is a difference between a tinted green face shield and a true shade #5 face shield.

Also, don't forget to wear saftey glasses under the shield.

Edit:

Headgear: http://www.airgas.com/browse/product.aspx?Msg=RecID&recIds=5435
Shade 5 shield: http://www.airgas.com/browse/product.aspx?Msg=RecID&recIds=5428&WT.svl=5428

Edited by moya034

I would recommend instead of goggles, getting a shade #5 face shield. This will give you better visibility since you're not limited to a small window. Fibre-metal makes good shields and head gear at reasonable prices. You can find fibre-metal products online, or your Local welding shop can probably order it for you.

Be careful, there is a difference between a tinted green face shield and a true shade #5 face shield.

Also, don't forget to wear saftey glasses under the shield.

Edit:

Headgear: Fibre-Metal® F-400 High Performance® Faceshield With 4" Crown Ratchet Headband - Airgas.com
Shade 5 shield: Fibre-Metal® 4178 High Performance® 8" X 16 1/2" IR/UV Shade 5 Wide View Faceshield Window - Airgas.com

HEY GUYS; FAB SHOP MAYBE ? BUT I'M NOT DRAGGING AROUND A FACESHIELD ON THE JOB SITE!!!!..... Norm :

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it very much. I will check out both options. I think I am going to need some kind of cheater lens as the dim light makes it harder to get a good focus. But I could use a clipon over my prescription glasses.