I Forge Iron

pump forge restoration help

I'm with HW, I would heat it up, first take a good wire brush and work the shaft over especially and then hit it with some heat. If that fails a good soak in a big tub of kerosene would be my next attempt. Mine wasn't quite that mucked up when I got it but go slow and any banging you try should be done with a rubber mallet or such to reduce the chances of chipping the cast work.

James

thanks for the reminder about cast i already knew that bit its still vearry helpful to br reminded of simple rules

the corrosion was caused by a great genus who had bound the entire assembly together with bailing wire it became a giant rust glob witch felloff to dust what you see it the result of a few houre of picking and 36 hours soak

how would i best remove a beheaded bolt from a cast bracket?

to remove the bolt first question is there part of it sticking out if theres a little i would get a washer that fits tight around the bolt then weld the washer to the bolt then weld a nut to the washer then let it cool then heat the bracket and try to loosen the broken bolt thats if you have a welder or the ablity to weld i have removed alot broken bolts this way even a broken tap once

to remove the bolt first question is there part of it sticking out if theres a little i would get a washer that fits tight around the bolt then weld the washer to the bolt then weld a nut to the washer then let it cool then heat the bracket and try to loosen the broken bolt thats if you have a welder or the ablity to weld i have removed alot broken bolts this way even a broken tap once

O.O Just the info I needed, simple but for some reason I just didn't think of this. Will give it a try on a blower bolt I broke. Thanks!

ok i see

i have the tweer made and the blower made sorta scary but it works (plywood epoxy plus some homemede brass bushings) but there was a bowl inside of the pan at one time is it required to have this bowl or is it optional

would a flat bar bent in a circle do the same task that the bowl was ment to

Mine did not ever have a bowl, how about some pictures to show us more of the bottom and top of the pan. The hole in the middle of mine is only about 2 inches across. When I got mine I did have to make a "grate" over the pipe but that was just a piece of sheet steel with some holes drilled in it. That grate actually lays ontop in the pan flat.

James

I just went through your gallery and found a picture of the top of your pan, it looks nearly identical to mine, maybe even sisters? Pipe with a flange and an off chute for air going up to the fire similar to what I drew above. The black pipe shown in the pan of this photo Photo would be ok shape wise but really should be bigger. The fan size found on most of these pump type (ratchet as I call it) forges will do better with a larger pipe in my opinion. The small blower won't much like the back pressure of that small pipe and it will probably clog up fairly easy as well and with a hand powered blower you won't need a valve. The cap on the bottom will work but I will bet you will quickly find it to be a royal pain in the buttocks...

I'll try and get out to get some pictures of mine today if time allows between Cub scout and Boy scout meetings...

Edited by ironrosefarms