I Forge Iron

Tang Handles

JaredM

Hello,
I'm a complete rookie to all of this, so I know that I need to do a lot of research before I start anything. But I did have a question. Is there any blueprints on tang handles? I'm interested in trying one out, only after I do a whole lot more research on knife making. I just haven't seen much on tang handles.

Thanks,
Jared

Do you mean full tang handles or hidden tang handles.?..Full tang has a blade that Continues to the butt of the knife and scales are attached, You can see the edge of the tang all the way around the rear portion of the knife, Hidden tang, sometimes called a bolt tang is slender all the way to the butt of the knife and has a butt cap fastened to it. Youi see this a lot on the knives pictured on the gallery here. Another type of tang is hidden also and does not go all the way to the end of the knife hanfle. You most likely have seen this style on knives that have deer antlers and the base of the antler is towards the butt and does no have a butt cap. Most books cover these different types. and a few more. LIbraries may have them or can get a copy through their lend loan agreaments with other libraries.