I Forge Iron

Post vise cleanup and stand build

tmate

I recently picked up my first post vise on eBay, and cleaned it up before fabricating a stand for it. After disassembling and wire brushing it, I applied a thin coat of boiled linseed oil. I left it sit outside in the sun for most of a day to speed up drying.

The rear spindle box collar was missing. This was probably because the heavy spring made it hard to close it enough to engage the spindle box threads. Someone in the distant past chose to just get rid of the collar, which made it easier. I fabricated a replacement collar out of a 2" ID one piece shaft collar. With some effort, I managed to get it all back together.

I've had this 150 lb. press plate sitting around for close to 30 years, and decided to use it as a base for the vise stand. I used a 5" x 8" I beam for a column, and 3/8" plates at the top and bottom. The finished stand weighs upwards of 200 lbs., and the vise about 85.

post vise.jpg

IMG_5055.JPG

IMG_5059.JPG

Untitled.jpg

evening light 3_75mb.jpg

Looks like it should work just fine and be solid as a rock. I've not heard of a spindle box on vise's. Could that be what we call the screw box? No matter, ya done good in fixing it up and it should serve well for generations to come.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus