I Forge Iron

New Horizontal/Vertical saw, or Portaband?

Hi, folks! I have been putting off a few projects because I lack the correct cutting capabilities (e.g. a Friedreich's cross). I feel like it's to up my game, but I don't have the spare cash for a full on vertical band saw. I have an old 1/3 HP Craftsman horizontal saw that needs some TLC but will function. I'm trying to decide if I should get a vertical/horizonal combo like the harbor freight one, or get a Portaband and mount it to a table. My budget for this is around $300-$450. I'm not sure if need the portability of the Portaband, but I think it's still a plus. 

• 2 months later...

Matt, you can get a decent portaband from Harbor Fright for $100 - $120, depending on the sales. After that, you can buy a portaband table from Swag Offroad for $150.

I use a HF portaband on a home-built table and it's a workhorse. I have access to a lot of scrap steel at the industrial plant where I work, so it was cost effective for me to build; it may not be for you. One thing I will say, it's alright (in my opinion) to go with the cheaper tool, but I'd spring for the good blades.

There are a couple of good threads about building your own portaband table. If my floor H/V band saw gives up, I will definitely build one from this thread.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/69707-not-another-post-on-portable-bandsaw-stands/

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus