I Forge Iron

Alldays & Onions power hammer

Hi guys,

I need advice and I believe I can have it here.

I have opportunity to buy Alldays & Onions 2cwt power hammer. I know nothing about power hammers ... especially this manufacturer. It used to be in a railway workshop but last ten years it  is not in use. It is in a backyard of one blacksmith workshop. It was left in working condition but who knows what has happened these years ... and, yes it's disassembled and it is not possible to see it working.

I'd like to know what should I pay attention of? According to photos it is complete.

I suppose 2cwt is power of hit, 2 x112 lbs  ... I'd say it is a serious  punch?

I believe some of you guys know what is electric motor power, what is its weight and what is it worth?

Thank you guys, I hope I am not asking too much :-)

viber_image_2022-05-30_17-23-45-010.jpg

viber_image_2022-05-30_17-23-45-190.jpg

viber_image_2022-05-30_17-23-44-692.jpg

viber_image_2022-05-30_17-23-57-643.jpg

viber_image_2022-05-30_17-23-44-780.jpg

Very good name hammer.  Quite large size as well.  Looks to need some significant work for reassembly, but likely quite promising if all the parts are there and the pistons haven't seized from that rust.  Good luck with it, careful rigging it home if you get it, that's no light weight either.

16 hours ago, Latticino said:

Very good name hammer.  Quite large size as well.  Looks to need some significant work for reassembly, but likely quite promising if all the parts are there and the pistons haven't seized from that rust.  Good luck with it, careful rigging it home if you get it, that's no light weight either.

Thank you Latticino! I know it's not light weight, someone said anvil is over 500 kg!

If Alan Evans, Owen Bush or John N reply to this you will have all the information you need......but if they are otherwise engaged, here is a link to a useful thread that Alan posted a few years back.

The Alldays and Onion are a very simple and generally robust hammer. This one will need a bit of work, but if the dovetails on the ram are not damaged and water hasn't managed to work it's way into the cylinders, then most of the other repairs are manageable.

Two piece hammers also require extra care when installing, the distance between the top of the anvil pallet and the bottom of the RAM pallet (or die), is critical. 

Have fun.