I Forge Iron

ArmySoldier - Starting my Journey into metal manipulation

After retiring from the Army (Jan2014) my wife let me try the contractor jobs in Colorado Springs for a year before she finally said she wanted to go back home to Idaho where her friends and family were.   I was given the option of staying in COS or going to Middleton Idaho (Near Boise).  I have been working for the State ever since as an IT Integration Manager (all things to do with databases, websites and making program work and talk to each other).

My Step son wants to be a rancher, so we upgraded to a 5 Acre Farm and started raising cattle. From the beginning I realized 5acres was too small.  We were leasing pasture to graze the cattle, leasing fields to grow hay for feed, and not making a profit.

This past July2021 we closed on 125 acre farm just across the boarder in Ontario Oregon (5 miles from Wieser Idaho).  We grow corn and alfalfa hay for feeding cattle and have a 900 head feed lot on the property. 

So not that I don't have enough to do with a full time job, growing and harvesting crops and maintaining this large acreage, i want to learn a new hobby.

My plan is to:

1.  learn enough welding to fix things around here.

2. learn smithing skills to make / fix things around here

3. melt metal in a furnace to make things.

I grew up with a hammer in my hand working on my fathers jobsites, he was a general contractor. 

But after reading the common mistakes thread, I am going to pound some nails into stumps to build up tolerance and practice technique. 

I built a firebrick forge but in the move, i miss placed the hose (new one ordered).  I did not get much play time with it before we moved. 

I ordered and have started putting together a Volcano Hero Forge after watching Roy's review at Christ Centered Iron works.

For about 2 months I have been reading and watching youtube videos. (Roy, John at BBF, Alec Steel, Mark Aspery and more)

But until not there has been no time or setup for starting this craft.  (and now it is spring, we are planting crops and watering fields, ugg)

As per my anvil thread, I finally got an Anvil I will be happy with while i learn the craft.

I am building a workshop in the old milking barn (not a normal barn)

I hope to post some pictures and show you all progress.

SO, I look forward to learning from everyone here. 

I look forward to feedback 

and I welcome the challenge.

Thank you for reading

Army

SE Oregon