I Forge Iron

Ljusne mekaniska hammer

Kinyon style hammers are good but if you had the money I'd go for the old one. I just like old stuff. The Kinyon is a small footprint and easy to maintain. There are all sorts of modifications now that make them better then the original. You might be able to build one for half the price of that old hammer.

That is a good answer, the cheaper the better. My only fear is if i start the project of building one, but never finish due to lack of time/parts.
But less expensive is better. However, if all my time goes into building the tools i need for forging, when will i have time to actually forge. But on the other side, building is also creatiing, and that is what is fun about forging. And I am still young. I have still 45 years of forging/learning ahead of me.

One of the problems of buying an old hammer is also trying to find parts. If it has set outside for sometime rust can be a real enemy. Some of these old hammers take big electric motors. I only have single phase at my house and yes I do know about phase converters but if you can get a small Kinyon type that will run on home shop compressor then you won't have to take out a loan for the monthly electric bill either. The less moving parts with a Kinyon also provide some advantage over the older mechanical hammers, less to break and adjust. If money and space weren't constraints I would most likely get the old mechanical hammer though.