I Forge Iron

New, but been lurking

JDinOH

Hello,

Been lurking around reading and reading and reading and...well anyway - thanks so much for all your posts and replies that I've been checking out.  I'm just starting and haven't hit a piece of metal yet!  I'm in the process of gathering supplies for a small propane forge fed by Frosty's design on the burner.  I was fortunate to "acquire" a really old and rather seasoned anvil that belonged to a friend's grandfather.  I'm going to post some pics in another thread to see if anybody can give some insight on manufacturer so I can let him know.  I don't really care too much - I'm curious, of course, but just tickled I have one to play with.

JD

Welcome aboard JD, glad to have you. So what's the story, you tell us about a recently acquired anvil but don't post a pic? Are you starting your delurked life out by torturing us? You DO know we LOVE pics don't you?

Growing yourself a striker? Excellent AVATAR, give him/er a hammer for me if s/he's a grandling please. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you Frosty.  I feel like I've learned a ton from you specifically already.  That little one is my first grandson.  He has a little brother now that is just a couple weeks old.  I'm sure they'll be swinging hammers in no time.   I'll post some more images to see if anybody can tell what the anvil is.

full image.jpg

ANOTHER ONE! Congrats granpa! 

Any markings on it? If there's much rust or paint on it they could be hard to see or read. Some time with a cup brush on a disk grinder to clean up the sides won't do damage like grinding on it. Please no grinding, any steel removed can't be replaced. 

Then wiping it down with chalk, flour, etc and wiping the excess off can make details more clear. Lighting from the side when you take a pic also makes details stand out more clearly. Picks from all 4 sides and one of the bottom might give the anvil savvy guys on the forum enough to ID it.

I'm not one of the anvil guru types, I can only render a really generalized opinion. She's seen some hard work in her life but she looks to be in pretty darned good condition. Once we get past the missing face from the hardy hold back. She looks to have a couple more generations of life in her anyway.

Frosty The Lucky.