I Forge Iron

Progress on Forge- Champion Forge Gears

I'm hopeful that this forge will work soon. It's been a bit of a challenge. The gears were completely seized up at the start. I took it apart partially, but left two of the three shafts intact and just loosened them with some penetrating oil. Today is the first time that I am finally starting to see movement.

The crank shaft is still not turning. I need to polish and reduce the diameter very gradually. I was never able to take this all the way out. I discovered a pin holding it in place- drove that out and now it wiggles a few inches in either direction- I think this is enough space to get a file in there and slowly reduce circumference. Still debating on how to proceed.

Here's a quick link to a video of progress so far.

https://youtu.be/cjSI_Ry_uqg

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

n the video it looks like all the shafts are turning. What are you calling the crank shaft?

In the video you can see that I am turning the gear that turns when the crank would normally be attached to. Right now the shaft is frozen in position and the gear is free-spinning on it. I need to get the shaft spinning properly before I can put the set screw back in the gear. I think the shaft may be mushroomed a little so there may be no way around reducing circumference a little- somehow. Thanks for the feedback though- I am doing this as a first-timer.

It's an iron case yes? Have you warmed it up with a torch. Just warm not smoking just a few hundred degrees. If that doesn't break it loose SLOWLY dribble water on the ends of the shaft.

If it's actually mushroomed, drill it out. Pick a drill bit a little smaller than the ID (Inside Diameter) of the bushing and carefully drill 1/4" - 1/2" into it. Use a flat ended straight punch that is slightly smaller than the hole, you need room for the thinned shaft to: compress, collapse or crumble without trapping the punch. Punch it out, a dead blow with a heavy(ish) hammer will cause less mushrooming at the point of impact than sharp blows with a light hammer, if the shaft needs more persuasion than I think it will. 

Make a new shaft, install and Bob's your uncle.

Frosty The Lucky.

41 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It's an iron case yes? Have you warmed it up with a torch. Just warm not smoking just a few hundred degrees. If that doesn't break it loose SLOWLY dribble water on the ends of the shaft.

If it's actually mushroomed, drill it out. Pick a drill bit a little smaller than the ID (Inside Diameter) of the bushing and carefully drill 1/4" - 1/2" into it. Use a flat ended straight punch that is slightly smaller than the hole, you need room for the thinned shaft to: compress, collapse or crumble without trapping the punch. Punch it out, a dead blow with a heavy(ish) hammer will cause less mushrooming at the point of impact than sharp blows with a light hammer, if the shaft needs more persuasion than I think it will. 

Make a new shaft, install and Bob's your uncle.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll be trying them for sure! In particular the idea of drilling into the ends of the shaft. Makes perfect sense and simple to do.

You're welcome, it's my pleasure to share how I have had to work around some of my mistakes so you can make new ones. 

Shafts usually get peined in place like that by someone using a center punch rather than a flat pin punch or going to town on them when they're locked up. 

Frosty The Lucky.