I Forge Iron

Insurance for Demos and events

I am trying to find someplace to get liability insurance for doing demos at events. I tried industrial coverage through Hartford, which has a program for Abana members. Unfortunately this is business insurance and if you have someone who is helping you and they are not your employee, they will not cover you even if the are a smith. Which means the demonstrators for our blacksmith days would not have been covered because one of our guild members worked the forge for them and they were not employed by the demonstrator.

Needless to say since I had other smiths helping me but not employed by me, I couldn't get coverage through them.

Anybody have ideas on insurances and where to get them? Looked through the archive threads and posting but could not find what I needed.

I bring my own insurance to the events I do. I used to let some people pump the bellows but now I won't let anyone except my daughters on my side of the rope(they work for me in my shop also). If you're looking to insure an event I would check with your local blacksmith group to see who they use and see if you can set up your event under their umbrella. Or check with other reenacting events in your area to see who they are using.

I'm actually looking for insurance to cover me when I demonstrate and sell at events. Basically looking for some sort of liability insurance to cover me.

I found a insurance company that insures my shop for fire and covers me for $1 million in liability when I'm at shows. Some of the shows require me to supply my own and have a letter from the insurance company.
Mark

Indiana Farmers Mutual Insurance Company My agent's company is Baker Agency 536 N. Memorial Drive New Castle, IN 47362. $374.50 every 6 months
I had tried the insurance company from ABANA but they said they don't cover Indiana
Mark

I'm basically a hobby smith but sell my wares at re-enactments and other events doing demos. Not really a business. Tried getting a business license from the county, but since I don't keep stock on hand so I was considered a service instead. I do make stuff for re-enactment to take and usually sell out. then I will be out of inventory until the next one gets close.